Friday, July 1, 2016

The Shunt Is "Off!"



I had my shunt adjusted again today. It was still overdraing (a LOT!) even set to a 6 out of 8 settings. So now it's set to an 8, which is virtually "off" because the pressure required to open the shunt valve is really REALLY high. I'll get another CAT scan on Wednesday to check the size of my ventricles and hopefully this will work for a while! I finally feel great! I sat up and watched the Olympic trials this evening without any headache pain! Woohoo!!! 
But the BEST part of the doctor's appointment today was that my wonderfully smart and resourceful husband, Glen, was the one who figured out how to use the shunt's magnet tools to properly adjust my shunt. This shunt valve hasn't been on the market very long and I'm our nurse's first patient with this type of valve. She was having a difficult time getting the setting to read and adjust correctly so we had to go get an x-ray to check the setting. When we got He was helping the neurosurgeon's nurse follow the manufacturer's instructions he found online in a pdf document. He's my hero!

I had my shunt adjusted again today. It was still over draining (a lot!) even set to a 6 out of 8. So now it's set to an 8, which is as close to "off" as a shunt can be. I'll get another CT on Wednesday to check the size of my ventricles and hopefully this will work for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment