Friday, November 4, 2016

This shunt is working too hard!

Image may contain: 1 personAfter two weeks of my shunt overdraining CSF (feels like you've changed elevation and your head fills with pressure but never "pops" and you get the worst headache you can possibly imagine and horrible nausea and vomiting EVERY time you sit or stand up), I'm finally allowed to get it adjusted! They'll use a tool that sits on top of the skin above the pressure valve (top right of my head... not the same in the picture) and the magnets in the tool device adjusts the shunt setting a bit higher so that my intracranial pressure has to be higher before it drains any CSF.

I told my nurse and dr two days after surgery that I was still overdraining, but they said I needed to wait a month before changing the setting. I stuck it out for 16 days, but it's getting a ton WORSE, not better.
Hopefully this adjustment will be all I need. At least we know that the shunt is not clogged (how three of my shunts have failed) because it's still moving CSF. This means we can play with the settings to make this work.

No comments:

Post a Comment