Monday, November 7, 2016

Warning: RANT ahead...

A day in the life of a person with hydrocephalus... my shunt was adjusted Friday morning. Yesterday wasn't perfect, but it was better than the day before! Today is worse, but not as bad as it was before the shunt was adjusted. Most neurosurgeons believe that it takes several days and weeks for the brain to adjust to a new pressure setting. It's been my limited experience (two programmable shunts in college and two since June) that my brain gets used to a new setting within a few days. But sure, I'll wait the obligatory two to four weeks. I have nothing better to do.
This is something hundreds of thousands of families in the USA alone deal with every day for the lifetime of the individual with hydrocephalus. And really, we're the ones who are truly blessed with first world technology!
I truly miss the almost 13 years that this wasn't a problem for me. And I hope and pray that neurosurgical technology will get better in my lifetime and it will allow a neurosurgeon to remove the scar tissue blocking the natural flow of CSF through the brain. Our current technology is only 65ish years old and we've come a LONG way! It isn't impossible and I'm grateful for the efforts of the Hydrocephalus Association in helping raise awareness, education, and donations to help find a CURE for this condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment