Monday, September 12, 2016

"Free" headaches

My mom told me after my surgery in June that I'd never have a "free" headache.
After almost 13 years of my hydrocephalus being a non-issue ("There's no way this headache is caused by hydrocephalus. No way!" said Kelly Thursday, May 12, 2016.), I stopped wondering if my nausea, dizziness, blurry vision, double vision, headaches, and/or vomiting were caused by too much spinal fluid in my head. Now, 13 days post op, I can't have even a moment of nausea, dizziness, blurry vision, double vision, headaches and/or vomiting without thinking it might lead to another brain surgery or two.
I'm not trying to be all "woe is me" on you, my friends. I just want to paint a picture that the parents of every one to two in every 1000 babies who are born with hydrocephalus will have to wonder Every. Single. Day. when/if their child ever struggles with these symptoms. Can you imagine? "Why is my six month old so fussy? Are they teething or do they need brain surgery?" And that doesn't include the individuals and families of those of us who were not diagnosed when we were in the womb. The older patients can at least practice body awareness and explain their symptoms more carefully, but really?! 

Living with hydrocephalus sucks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment