Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Scar Tissue and Brain Surgery

I just got back to my room. The external ventricular drain that I've had all week was removed. According to my husband's report, the neurosurgeons (my adult nsg & the pediatric nsg who did my original ETV 13 years ago) said that my ETV was still wide open with possible scarring further down, but they felt it was too dangerous to proceed past my basilar artery to remove anything. And I'm totally okay with their assessment and treatment plan. Kinda sucks, but there it is.
And alllll the data we collected this last week with the external ventricular drain (EVD) that was measuring my intracranial pressures helped us find a shunt that will work better (read: LONGER) than all my previous shunts. I now have a Codman Hakim valve with an antisiphone device that will provide a wider range of pressure options.
They will keep me overnight and get a CT in the morning. If all looks good and pain is well-managed I can go home tomorrow afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment