Saturday, June 4, 2016

Somebody? Anybody??



Day 40
There are only a few neurosurgeons in Utah who can perform an endoscopic third ventriculostomy (ETV). In this procedure, the surgeon creates a hole at the base of the third ventricle thus creating a pathway for CSF drainage. It takes less than ten minutes. I had this surgery almost thirteen years ago. And it seems the hole they made has either closed, partially closed, or is still open and just not draining enough CSF. The first two scenarios require doing the ETV again. The last requires the placement of a shunt.
So of those few neurosurgeons with whom I have complete confidence in doing the ETV, more importantly doing the ETV in MY brain, only one is covered by my insurance AND he's out of town until late next week "at the earliest." Yup. This means, that if my symptoms get worse, I get to go to the ER and take my chances with neurosurgeons who think they can do this procedure and maybe they'd be fine, buuuuut... It is my brain and a big ol' artery is millimeters from the tool they use to make the hole. I'd really like the best of the best in the O.R.
We're voting that my symptoms don't get worse and that I can hold out until whenever this surgeon gets back.

No comments:

Post a Comment